Communication is absolutely key to managing traveller itineraries when your employees are working out of the country – especially in emergency situations.
Whether you’re a small business owner or travel risk manager, you need to ensure that you are prepared for such times, and your team has the ability to provide useful, relevant and timely communication to alleviate travel risk and potential employee distress.
Here are some ways to help you ensure effective communication with your business travellers.
Use the Right Channels
Your business travellers should be fully engaged in order for them to understand travel risks and take necessary precautions especially if they are already en route to the destination. We suggest keeping your employees updated using the following methods:
- Email – Travellers will be familiar with receiving their booking confirmations by email, and it’s equally useful for sending travel advisory notices.
- SMS – People are generally more likely to open a text message than an email so consider using this method for any communication about traveller safety.
- Telephone – Make sure all travellers provide their mobile phone number so you can reach them while they’re travelling.
- Online Booking Tool – If you are working with a TMC, ask them to show messages throughout the booking process to advise your travellers about travel risk in their selected destination.
- Emergency Service – Make sure your employees have your business travel agency’s number and the designated contact person, so they can reach them 24 hours a day.
- Travel Portal/Intranet – The travel risk process can be posted here so your employees are aware of various roles and responsibilities and whom to speak if they need some guidance regarding their trip.
Subscribe to Travel Alerts
Make sure you have a system in place to keep travellers updated on any changes to travel advice or if an incident occurs that could affect them. If you use a corporate travel agency, you should be familiar with travel alerts which keep you and your travellers up to date with information that may affect their travel plans, including the following:
- Impending strike action, in any country, by airlines, airports or ground transportation staff
- Changes in FCO travel advice
- Amendments to passport and visa requirementsfor specific countries
- Advice and implications of weather or significant incident
Keep Your Messages Relevant
Don’t broadcast your communications – send targeted messages only to those who need them, so they get the right information at the right time. Recipients are likely to disregard all messages if they are continuously sent irrelevant information, which is a risk in itself. By using a rules-based system to determine who receives what, you avoid sending unrelated communications to travellers.
Invest in Traveller Tracking Tools
It’s imperative that you know where your travellers are when they’re travelling on company business. If you have a Travel Management Company (TMC) working for you, you should be able to access management records that show who is travelling where, when, and with whom. You may even have access to a traveller tracking tool that shows you your travellers’ location in real-time.
If you don’t have a TMC, you can track your travellers by investing in simple tracking tools. Voyage Manager, MCM, and IMG Globalsecur are just a few of the many traveller tracking solutions in the market that should help you determine your employees’ real-time location.
It’s also important to keep your own business travel records so you can trace your travellers whenever you need to. For instance, if there’s an incident in a city or country, you’ll want to check if any of your employees were there.
All in all, maintaining effective communication with your travelling employees is one of the crucial steps to ensure you meet the duty of care of your organization. But aside from that, you should also ensure that your employees are safe and secure while travelling on the road.
To achieve such a feat, it is best to pre-book a chauffeured transport such as Hyryde for your next business trip. Doing so will not only help your employees prepare for their trip or recover their energy from a long flight but will also ensure that that they will arrive at their destination safely and on-time.
Contact Hyryde today to learn more about our premium chauffeured service.